Tuesday, September 21, 2010

...and then you shellac him real good!

Hey folks, quick post here about PAPERCRAFT!

I've been told of this thing called "Decoupage" , which is also a form of paper art:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupage                   

 Which got me thinking, My papercraft link is pretty fragile, mayhaps I should shore him up with some sort of lacquer type substance stuff. So here you go:




 I took him out to the garage, impaled him like Vlad (well, he's got openings in the bottom so not really, but it looks like it XD) and sprayed him with the Polyurethane I bought when I was refinishing a table. This particular kind of spray varnish has a flat spraying nozzle, I don't know about other brands, but it works perfectly. 

I simply sprayed him in even coats the way you would any other surface, making sure to get the crevices and such, making sure not to soak him down, and let him sit to dry. He came out pretty good in my opinion:



 Now, I used semi-gloss spray, because that's what I had in my garage. If I was buying it  specifically for papercraft models I would prefer matte (no gloss, less shiny). The end result is a sturdier, more resilient model that will last longer. I'm going to go back out and add a few more coats to further reinforce the model, letting him dry after each coat. I anticipate it will strengthen the model and, in my case because of the semi-gloss spray, make him even shinier.

Let me know if you try this method or know someone who does, I'm always looking for tips to make my papercraft better and to share here for others!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think about what I think!